notes to self
when I'm at work and don't want to email myself, I'll put things here
for the website
- a "free downloads" section? phone wallpapers, graphic design posters, hand-lettered quotes, printable zines...
- and a reference section - where can people find other free resources, cool sites, interesting people...
- the zen garden, a totally rad libary of CSS style sheets! and created by Dave Shea, a web designer from right here in Vancouver, Canada.
- Pure CSS Library
- meta tags
- girl. it's time to start hosting your own images, okay?
- please remember to include target="_blank" in your external links
- maybe we should restructure the "writing" tab?
- okay I haven't gone through all these yet but it's a list of reddit's favourite websites. might be interesting
- for the wood between the worlds?: The Public Domain Review
- somewhere between a chapbook and a zine is this bit of erasure poetry by mary ruefles
to do list
- fiction winner (overall runner-up) of the martlet summer writing contest
- get busy readin' or get busy dyin'
- make your christmas cards awesome with this list of creative card folds (thanks beccy!)
- ...remember when you used to write those "Dear Darling" letters? Is there a zine in that? Or a book/bundle of letters?
- if you need the City Guide over the weekend. Remember the list is on Slack!
- a.ham website for mic (character pages & one song up)
- letter to kayla
- SEO improvements: add titles or alt text to images! add descriptions and tags to pages! we're gonna post more often and help people find us :) that means doing all the little housekeeping things (and we gotta do it by hand, 'cause this ain't wordpress).
blog post ideas
- audiobook reviews (everything, everything / emmy & oliver)
- book review: turtles all the way down
- web design (getting started: building my site, css zen garden, codecademy)
- web coolness: Electric Sheep : Crowdsourced Evolving Art (gif your fav sheep!)
- feeling good in your favourite clothes (why I don't wear heels to the office)
- what it means to be an "artist"
the vision i have in my head is the obsessive, addicted, fervent creator who depends on the muses. but increasingly, i admire the "sit-down-and-do-it" artists: jonathan "song-a-day" mann, stephen "on writing" king, and others who consistently churn out new works.
- I like owning stuff.
I like that you have to clean it, and organize it, and make space for it. I like that it keeps you anchored to a place. I like that it means you can share it with people, lend it out. I like that when I want to make art, I have the tools at hand. I like that every few months or years, I have to stop and re-evaluate what I want to keep. It's an opportunity to go through the memories, and clear out what needs clearing out.
- zine (?): enneagram type four & its frightening accuracy
- i had another idea...dammit.
google fonts I like
- Playfair Display - This is the [h4] font on VanMag and I just think it's lovely. It has a particularly attractive ampersand: &
- Josefin Slab - Geometric and modern, this can be an excellent font for both display headers and the body paragraph.
- Pacifico - a Google font I downloaded so long ago I forgot it was a Google font! One of my favourite cursive fonts.
- Amatic SC - One of the first Google fonts I used on this site, this is best used sparingly as a display font.
- Satisfy - More cursive, this time lighter.
- Poiret One - So delicate and modern.
- Cormorant Garamond - A classic serif typeface.
- Rock Salt - A more textured, brushlike display font..
- Fredericka the Great - A bold handdrawn serif that belongs on a chalkboard.